This route offers a cross-section of what Nordland has to offer – from inland rural areas with farming and lush valleys to fjords and high mountains with a view of the island kingdom beyond.
Melfjordbotn – a trip you will long remember
Set off from Røssvoll in Rana municipality in Helgeland. Ride westwards in easy terrain along the shores of lake Langvatnet and the Glomå delta. After about 25 km, depending on where you set off from, you will cross the river Glomåga and start climbing up the mountain Melfjellet to Melfjordbotn.
The road up the mountain
The road up the mountain has an ascent of 450 altitude metres and contains several steep sections. However, with some low gears, most people can manage this stage.
The road narrows gradually and the majestic mountain area opens. The impressive view includes snow-covered mountains, small lakes and streams between the cliffs.
The terrain becomes flatter near the top before you edge over and get a view down towards the Melfjord.
The road down is a real experience. It’s surrounded by spectacular nature and it’s not unnatural to have associations with the Trollstigen. The downhill ride is gentle and winds through the mountain landscape until you reach the settlement down in Melfjordbotn.
Tips for your bike ride
- 55 Forførende friluftsmål (enticing outdoor destinations) – often 55FF – are specially selected, attractive hiking destinations in Salten ranging from easy walks to more demanding hikes. Read more about 55FF here.
- Change your cycling direction and time of day to suit the weather and other wishes. Remember it’s light 24/7 here during the summer. You can always turn back or replace stages by express boat (if possible).
- Bring a bike pump, tyre lever, extra bike tube and multi-tool suitable for your bike. There are few bicycle operators in the district.
- Bring a water bottle. The water from mountain streams is mostly drinkable.
- Check the opening hours of the grocery stores you plan to use before you set off.
- Leave as few physical traces as possible and always dispose of your rubbish responsibly.
- Remember you are not permitted to camp closer than 150 m from an inhabited house or cabin.
- Special rules may apply for camping in nature reserves.
- Be considerate to other traffic (even though there is not much).
- Greet people you meet and stop for a chat.
You can rent bikes in Bodø at the following places:
Sport 1 Sentrum
+47 995 08 001
(250 m from Sentrumsterminalen)
You can rent bikes in Meløy at the following places:
+47 915 40 866
They deliver bicycles anywhere in Meløy
There is also bicycle rental at the equipment center (utstyrssentralen) at Ørnes (located at the Meløy library) and at the Gildeskål volunteer center.
You may also be interested in…
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Thank you for your feedback!
We are reading all feedback, but unfortunately we can not respond.