The service road leading up the mountain Sundsfjordfjellet in Gildeskål municipality starts on the shores of the Sundsfjord. When you reach the top, you enter a beautiful and expansive mountain landscape. You can also visit the Láhko National Park.
Cycling on mountain roads in idyllic Gildeskål
The Sundsfjord is situated in Gildeskål municipality and can be reached on route no. 17. The route up the mountain Sundsfjellet starts down on the shores of the Sundsfjord and follows the service road that leads up the mountainside. The gravel road is easy to spot and starts from right by the road (route no. 17). It’s worth noting that this trip is about 14 km.
Magical mountain view
You get a wonderful view of the settlement, bridges and beautiful Sundsfjord that flows through the landscape while you are riding up the mountainside.
When you reach the top, enter a unique, open and vast mountain landscape. You can also visit the Láhko National Park. The highest point on the road is approx. 520 m.a.s.l.
It’s possible to cycle this route from mid-summer. On warm summer days, we recommend bringing a towel in your backpack, so you can have a refreshing dip when you get to the top.
Get to know Gildeskål
Tips for your bike ride:
- 55 Forførende friluftsmål (enticing outdoor destinations) – often 55FF – are specially selected, attractive hiking destinations in Salten ranging from easy walks to more demanding hikes. Read more about 55FF here.
- Change your cycling direction and time of day to suit the weather and other wishes. Remember it’s light 24/7 here during the summer. You can always turn back or replace stages by express boat (if possible).
- Bring a bike pump, tyre lever, extra bike tube and multi-tool suitable for your bike. There are few bicycle operators in the district.
- Bring a water bottle. The water from mountain streams is mostly drinkable.
- Check the opening hours of the grocery stores you plan to use before you set off.
- Leave as few physical traces as possible and always dispose of your rubbish responsibly.
- Remember you are not permitted to camp closer than 150 m from an inhabited house or cabin.
- Special rules may apply for camping in nature reserves.
- Be considerate to other traffic (even though there is not much).
- Greet people you meet and stop for a chat.
You can rent bikes in Bodø at the following places:
Opplev Nord AS
Konrad Klausens vei 4A
+47 901 92 636
Sport 1 Sentrum
+47 995 08 001
(250 m from Sentrumsterminalen)
In Meløy you can rent a bike at the following places
+47 915 40 866
They deliver bicycles anywhere in Meløy
There is also bike hire at the equipment center at Ørnes (located at the Meløy library, utstyrssentralen) and at Gildeskål volunteer centers.
You may also be interested in…
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Thank you for your feedback!
We are reading all feedback, but unfortunately we can not respond.