The road up to Småtindan is tough, but you will be rewarded with wonderful views of Steigen. Few places offer so much view for every cycle step. The road leads you all the way up to the mast on the summit (799 m.a.s.l.).
Enjoy the view of Steigen from your bike seat!
Start by riding to the Leinesfjord in Steigen and then follow route no. 835 north to Trolldalen, where the route starts. This route is designed for the slightly more experienced, and not least, fit cyclist. You ride 6.9 km on a gravel road that winds its way up the mountain.
You ride up to the mast at the top, which is visible most of the way. The summit is 789 m.a.s.l. It’s a strenuous ride but few places offer so much view for every altitude metre you climb.
When you reach the top, you will be rewarded with an almost extra-terrestrial view – of Steigen and out towards the Lofoten islands. You will see one mountain peaks after another and can easily feel like you are sitting on top of the world.
How to have a good and safe trip
This route requires an e-bike or that you are in very good shape and can use low gears. You ride on a loose gravel surface most of the way and there is a reasonably good ascent right from the start. Consequently, for safety reasons, it’s sensible to ensure you have good brakes and tyres to get up and down safely.
If you do this trip on a summer evening under the golden rays of the Midnight Sun, it will be a magical experience you will long remember. The view in the evening light is a good reward for all your effort.
Get to know Steigen
Tips for your bike ride:
- 55 Forførende friluftsmål (enticing outdoor destinations) – often 55FF – are specially selected, attractive hiking destinations in Salten ranging from easy walks to more demanding hikes. Read more about 55FF here.
- Change your cycling direction and time of day to suit the weather and other wishes. Remember it’s light 24/7 here during the summer. You can always turn back or replace stages by express boat (if possible).
- Bring a bike pump, tyre lever, extra bike tube and multi-tool suitable for your bike. There are few bicycle operators in the district.
- Bring a water bottle. The water from mountain streams is mostly drinkable.
- Check the opening hours of the grocery stores you plan to use before you set off.
- Leave as few physical traces as possible and always dispose of your rubbish responsibly.
- Remember you are not permitted to camp closer than 150 m from an inhabited house or cabin.
- Special rules may apply for camping in nature reserves.
- Be considerate to other traffic (even though there is not much).
- Greet people you meet and stop for a chat.
You can rent bikes in Bodø at the following places:
Opplev Nord AS
Konrad Klausens vei 4A
+47 901 92 636
Sport 1 Sentrum
+47 995 08 001
(250 m from Sentrumsterminalen)
You may also be interested in…
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Thank you for your feedback!
We are reading all feedback, but unfortunately we can not respond.