In the summer when the sun never sets, you can wander barefoot on white sandy beaches and warm coastal rocks. You can admire the Midnight Sun from a mountain summit or watch it hanging like a piece of polished gold jewellery on the horizon while enjoying the tranquillity of a private beach and great views north. Being outside in the bright light when sounds and wildlife indicate that it’s night-time is a unique experience.
The Midnight Sun is visible in Bodø from 4 June to 8 July.
The best places to see the midnight sun in Bodø & Salten
- At one of the many beaches north of Bodø. Check out Mjelle, Hovdsundet, Geitvågen and Løpsstranda.
- If you continue further north of Bodø, you can take the 10 minute long ferry to idyllic Kjerringøy. Here you will find many good places to watch the sun.
- At one of the city's sky bars; Top13 at the top floor of Radisson BLU Hotel, or Roast bar & restaurant at the top of Scandic Havet Hotel. Wear your pumps and enjoy a delicious cocktail with a 360 view over the city and the surroundings.
- Drive up to Turisthytta/Rønvikfjellet Mountain. Just outside the city centre you can drive all the way up to this view point. Here you can have a late night picnic and look north to the mountains where the sun is, and at the same time look out over the city.
- Hike up to Keiservarden - Bodøs rooftop. From Turisthytta you can also go for a hike up to Keiservarden - the most popular hike in Bodø for both locals and visitors. The view from up here is even better!
- If you are driving to Bodø via the costal route, you will have an amazing view towards the midnight sun along the way. Make a stop at Ureddplassen in Gildeskål - maybe the world's prettiest outdoor toilet.
- Bøsanden in Steigen is also woth a visit! The view from here and the quietness is amazing.