The best places to see the Midnight Sun in Bodø & Salten:
- If you drive along the coast north of Bodø, you will spot one white sandy beach after the next. Some of these are wonderful viewpoints for seeing the Midnight Sun. Check out: Mjelle, Hovdsundet, Geitvågen or Løpsstranda.
- At one of the city’s sky bars: Top13 on the top floor of the Radisson BLU Hotel and Roast bar and restaurant on the top floor of the Hotel Scandic Havet. Put on your pumps and enjoy a drink while admiring the beautiful 360-degree panoramic view of the city and its surroundings.
- Keiservarden – You can walk from Maskinisten up to Keiservarden (The Emperor’s cairn), which is the city’s most popular walk for locals and visitors alike. The view from the top is unbelievably beautiful!
- Drive up to Turisthytta/Rønvikfjellet. A short drive from downtown Bodø brings you to this beautiful vantage point. You can drive all the way up and enjoy a midnight picnic while admiring the view to the north of the mountains, sea and the Midnight Sun on one side and the city on the other.
NB: The road up to Turisthytta/Rønvikfjellet is closed temporarily for maintenance work.
- If you drive to Bodø along Kystriksveien (The Coastal Route), you will have wonderful views along the way. Stop at Ureddplassen in Gildeskål – possibly the world’s most beautiful outdoor toilet.
- Bøsanden beach in Steigen is worth visiting, as is Langsanden in Gildeskål. The views and tranquillity at both beaches are wonderful!
In the summer when the sun never sets, you can wander barefoot on white sandy beaches and warm coastal rocks. You can admire the Midnight Sun from a mountain summit or watch it hanging like a piece of polished gold jewellery on the horizon while enjoying the tranquillity of a private beach and great views north. Being outside in the bright light when sounds and wildlife indicate that it’s night-time is a unique experience.
The Midnight Sun is visible in Bodø from 4 June to 8 July.